Picturae has developed a digitization set especially for Naturalis based on a conveyor belt that makes the work process as efficient as possible and digitizes the Herbarium sheets at high speed. More than 40,000 Herbarium sheets per day are currently being digitized. The efficient working method is possible because the combination of the conveyor belt and innovative software allow not just a rapid digitization but, more importantly, guarantee a high quality as well. The software ensures that the digitized Herbarium sheets are automatically provided with color profiles and are checked for sharpness. If these aspects are correct, the image is automatically cropping and stored and then it is ready for use.
At the click of a mouse, the results from the Herbarium digistreet give the entire world access to the most important and most consulted data from the Herbarium collections of Naturalis. Researchers who make use of label data from these collections, for example for the development of new medicines or to study the relationships between plant species, can now access the basic information online at any time and place. Previously this could only be done by visiting the Herbarium.
When you want to start your own herbarium digitisation project we like to consider every possible project approach that would suit your organisation best. These are four models that are already available right now:
Method 1: Shipping the sheets toan existing digitisation location, currently Leiden (The Netherlands):
- For: any collection size, distances up to 1200Km.
- Full service: Picturae will work in their digitisation studio, and we will arrange personnel, logistics, IT, delivery, bar-coded sheets return with high-end digital reproductions.
Method 2: Digitising at your location, all inclusive.
- For: collections of 1.000.000 sheets and over, any location.
- Full service: Picturae will work at your location, and we will arrange personnel, logistics, IT, delivery, bar-coded sheets return with high-end digital reproductions.
Method 3: Digitisation at your location, employment project.
- For: collections of 1.000.000 sheets and over, any location, minimum of 1 year project.
- Half service: Picturae will deliver expertise, training, equipment and post-processing by Picturae; the client should arrange a location, staff and project management. One set (approximately 1 million sheets per year) provides full time labour to a staff of 4.
Method 4: Buying a Picturae 'Herbarium Digistreet'.
- For: collections of 2.000.000 sheets and over, any location.
- Half service: you buy our equipment, we service it and train the trainers.
If you want to know how the Herbarium digitstreet works, you can watch the film.